February is the month for love and passion, which we all know the world could use more of. However, Valentine’s Day can feel like another obligation dictated by the calendar rather than a fantastic day to celebrate romance and relationships.
You’re running around like a squirrel, managing the kids Valentines assembly line, decorating the house, buying presents for your sweetheart, topping it all off with the pressure of being a saucy bobcat in the bedroom….
Breathe, and take a pause to remember yourself and give that Goddess some love of her own. She probably needs it.
It’s usually much easier to love others and celebrate them rather than turning the love mirror on ourselves. But you know the old oxygen mask story - you can’t take care of anyone else if you don’t take care of yourself, first. Truth.
What if you gave yourself as much love, care, patience, cheerleading, and gentleness as you give everyone else? Awesomeness would happen, that’s what! Just imagine - a break from the self criticism, being able to laugh at yourself when things go pear-shaped, and more joy in your life that’s contagious to those around you. Life just feels lighter.
I know it can seem self indulgent or that you don’t deserve it or that something much more important needs to be done first. We’re so accustomed to be operating on autopilot to get everything done and make everyone happy that we’re too exhausted to do anything for our self. I get it. So instead of giving you another chore, I have some simple, free ideas to help boost your own beautiful, self love. And these don't end on February 15th:
1. First and foremost - download this little piece of artwork I made especially for you for this occasion. YOU ARE LOVED. Save it to your phone (right click and save). Now set it as your background wallpaper.
You ARE loved - by more people than you can imagine. But here's the important part - bring that love back to yourself. Every time you see it just think of yourself with a soft heart and gentle kindness, a silent smile, the same way you think of your most cherished loved ones. No criticism or doubts. Just love. You are loved. Know it.
2. Journal - I know this is old news but that’s because it works. You’re not writing an epic novel, just write a few lines a day about yourself - good stuff! What you like about yourself, accomplishments, what you’re thankful for. Get crazy and refer back to it once in awhile. This little book of niceties will go a long way to fuel your tank. Promise.
3. Start a “Good Stuff” email folder - This is a folder where you keep all the good stuff that people have sent you, about you - like compliments, thank you messages, or kind words of recognition. Don’t just delete that mail like it’s spam. It’s gold. And it adds up to a huge boost to the confidence meter when you look back at it.
4. If you don’t do this already, give yourself some alone time to figure out what you really need. Be honest with yourself. It’s ok to want what you want. Do you need:
- More time alone?
- Something beautiful to light up your life, like flowers?
- Time to be creative and just play?
- Girls night out to reconnect?
- A nap?
Whatever it is - own it. You’re in charge of your life so go get whatever you need. Permission granted, Sweetheart. Serious. But the first step is figuring it out.
5. Try this little App by Oceanhouse Media - “I am Bliss”. It “turns your mobile device into a pocket mirror with affirmations”. Yep, sounds cheesy and it felt weird talking out loud to myself the first time I tried it, but it works! These tiny affirmations give me a little boost every time I hear them and a bit of a giggle too. Perfect.
So, as you go about your Valentine’s business sharing your love with the world, please remember yourself and leave a little room for your Inner Goddess. I’ll be cheering you on from over here. You Are Loved.